Ten to fifteen minuite walk from the 21st Centrury Museum, you find Shin-tatemachi shopping street 新竪町商店街. The street goes only for about 200 meters and it looks pretty deserted, but if you see carefully you find some interesting shops selling antiques and japanese homeware zakka made by local artists here and there along the way. Many of the buildings seen here are the traditional machiya (town house) style and throughout the street there is a really nostalgic feel to it. I wouldn't say it's a must-see place, but if you have some extra time it could be interesting to wonder around.

6 comments

  1. oooh, all those shops look so great - epscaially through your very special lens eyes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i really like the look of the second to last photo and how cluttered it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving your photo-stories of Kanazawa. I never made it there when I was in Japan but my good friend Miki goes there every year to spend time with her artist friends - potters mostly - and help them fire their kiln. I will definitely try to visit if I go back to Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very very lovely and beautiful!! i would love to be there right now walking around too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ii-ne-kore - this street was quite photogenic and I probably saw things here more through my lens than directly with my eyes :D

    Anna - yes, this is kind of a typical japanese antique shop front! it's fun trying to find something good in there ;)

    mizu designs - I'm happy that you enjoy my Kanazawa photos. if you love Kyoto you'll love Kanazawa too. It's much quieter than Kyoto and I felt it's a bit closed so if you know somebody there you'd probably enjoy it a lot more so lucky your friend!

    Make it Easy - I can imagine you walking around this area!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great. im going there in a couple of weeks and was looking for something else to do besides the museum.thanks.

    ReplyDelete

your kind words are always welcome and appreciated! arigato :)

Instagram